For Superior Quality & Great Prices - Buy Direct
At EARTHCO We Manufacture & Process What We Sell
(Except for winter road salt)
- Benefits of Bark Mulch:
- Bark mulch is made with 100% bark.
- Bark mulch has a lower pH than natural mulch.
- Weeds tend not to like the lower pH.
- Landscape architects recommend using only bark mulch because of the lower pH.
- We manufacture three types of mulch and are the only manufacturer of coloured mulch in HRM:
- Double Grind Bark Mulch Our double grind bark mulch is recognized for its fine texture and dark colour. We purchase our raw bark from sawmills that have larger logs to minimize the amount of wood residue when the bark is stripped. We then process the bark by grinding it and turning it 5 to 6 times over a 1 to 2 years to ensure it is mature and very dark in colour.
- Single Grind Bark Mulch Our single grind bark mulch has larger pieces of bark, generally up to 2" in size, sometimes a bit larger, along with bark fines and has a dark colour.
- Colour Enhanced Mulch As a manufacturer, we strive to ensure our coloured mulch is the best. We accomplish this by using only kiln dried lumber which absorbs the dye better than green wood and wood chips used by our competitors. Kiln dried lumber creates a richer and longer lasting coloured mulch, manufactured weekly between mid-April and October. In the Spring, any left-over mulch from the previous year is re-dyed.
- You will not find wood chips in our coloured mulch.
- Our black mulch is made with a charcoal pigment and red using an iron oxide pigment. All are environmentally friendly, naturally occurring elements.
- Important things to consider before ordering your coloured mulch:
- Coloured mulch requires one to two good days to dry, depending on the mulch depth, to avoid fading and wash-out. Sunny days with wind are the best for drying.
- Avoid placing your mulch if rain is forecasted within 48 hours.
- If you have coloured mulch that has not been spread, cover it with a tarp until the weatherimproves.